David Muegge - Project Experience
Over 25 years of computer science and information technology experience in various roles of support, administration, analysis, architecture, design, development, and implementation.
- Created Splunk Add-On to collect data from the Federal Reserve Economic Database API. Packaged app and published to splunkbase FRED Add-On for Splunk
- Created Splunk app for analysis of economic data utilizing the FRED Add-On for Splunk. Packaged app and published to splunkbase Economic Analysis for Splunk
- Created Splunk App to collect Microsoft Certificate Information for a customer healthcare organization. Packaged app and published on splunkbase Microsoft Certificates Add-On for Splunk
- Created Splunk App to collect and reconcile inventory information including linking to images in cloud based image store for a customer manufacturing environment
- Created Splunk searches and dashboards to analyze operating system process and system information utilizing machine learning to predict server crash due to memory leaks, disk space utilization, etc.
- Created Splunk searches and dashboards to analyze smart electric meter data for a large public electric utility
- Solutions Architect responsible for design of primary, disaster recovery, and data protection infrastructure for healthcare organization
- Solutions Architect responsible for creation of tools and processes to enable automation functionality of various software and hardware products
- Solutions Architect responsible for creation of various data collection and analysis tools for infrastructure assessment activities
- Solutions Architect responsible for sales and design of various network storage systems and virtualized infrastructure solutions
- Solutions Architect responsible for sales and design of converged infrastructure solution based on EMC, Cisco, and VMware products for a city government
- Solutions Architect responsible for sales and design of converged infrastructure solution based on EMC, Cisco, and VMware products for a global retailer
- Solutions Architect responsible for sales and design of SAN and shared storage solutions based on EMC and Cisco products for multiple global manufacturing companies
- Solutions Architect responsible for sales and design of VMware View VDI solution based on EMC, Cisco, and VMware products for a K-12 school corporation
- Lead architect responsible for design of EMC VNX array implementation and data migration for an industrial equipment manufacturer.
- Lead architect responsible for design of core edge fiber channel switching infrastructure utilizing Cisco MDS 9513 and 9148 switches for a hospital data center.
- Lead architect and engineer for a public insurance company responsible for providing business case/ROI, design, and implementation of Cisco FC SAN, HDS AMS 2500 array, and vSphere 4 infrastructure with SRM for the virtualization of 150+ physical HP servers. This also included implementation of asynchronous array based replication using FCIP.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and implementation of disk based backup system using Data Domain de-duplication and Symantec NetBackup. This included the implementation of FCoE and 10GbE iSCSI connectivity for the media servers using CNA's connected to Cisco Nexus switches. I presented this solution in a breakout session sponsored by EMC to attendees of the Indiana IT Symposium 2010.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for configuration of VMWare Virtual Infrastructure 3 and Microsoft virtual server environments used for development and testing of custom software. This included the implementation of a software based iSCSI SAN on HP server hardware.
- Designed automated server build process using PowerShell. Developed libraries for configuration of AD and local accounts, IIS server configuration, OS configuration, and automated application installation.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for ADS domain upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 including replacement of corresponding HP server hardware.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and implementation of Microsoft Active Directory Application Mode for extranet applications. This design provided a directory hierarchy to allow external users access to multiple applications without account duplication or elevation of permissions. Also built PowerShell scripts to manage users and groups in ADAM.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and implementation of Business Objects XIR2 implementation including the HP Server infrastructure and integration with Active Directory security for internal authentication and Active Directory Application Mode for Extranet authentication.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for implementation of Windows SharePoint Services Intranet including design of site structure and conversion of all existing Intranet content to WSS.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and implementation of Active Directory and Exchange 2003 for a mid size public insurance company, including the migration from Netware/NDS 5.1 and GroupWise 6.0 and the design and implementation of group policies.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and implementation of a BizTalk 2004 and 2006 multi-server distributed environment, including the implementation of HP server hardware and Windows 2003 NLB for load balancing BizTalk orchestrations published as web services.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of SQL 2000 and 2005 servers for line of business web applications at a mid size public insurance company, including all hardware architecture, server optimization, disaster recovery, and offsite replication of data via log shipping.
- Developed SQL DTS packages used for ETL of data from Unisys DSMS databases to SQL databases, including the development of many custom transformations, which had to be converted from legacy processes written in Clipper and XGEN (high level source language used to produce COBOL object code).
- Developed custom web based ASP.NET application to allow development personnel to execute SQL DTS packages from an Intranet website. This solution compensated for the permissions shortcomings in SQL Server DTS. Additionally, the solution allowed development personnel to be more productive without requiring unnecessary permissions within SQL Server.
- Lead engineer for design and configuration of Windows 2003 NLB web clusters for ASP.NET applications using the ASP.NET state server.
- Developed custom ASP.NET Intranet application utilizing WMI for on demand execution of server based batch processes. This allowed business users to execute processes without requiring rights to access production servers.
- Developed Outlook forms and Exchange COM+ event sink solutions, including a solution which allowed business personnel to attach emails to an Outlook form and provide indexing information needed to send the emails into a document imaging system to be filed with other account documents.
- Lead architect and engineer responsible for design and planning of Active Directory, Windows 2000, and Exchange 2000 implementation in a 3500-seat environment with 100+ locations and 200+ servers.
- Designed a process and developed tools to move 2000 Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to a new Exchange site while maintaining all directory attributes, distribution list membership, public folder permissions using Visual Basic and technologies such as ADSI, CDO, and ADO. This process and application saved many man-hours of time that would have been required to perform the task.
- Developed a web based asset management system based on Windows Management Instrumentation and SQL Server 2000 using Visual Basic, Visual Interdev, and technologies such as ADO and ADSI to provide multiple tools for data collection and reporting.
- Developed a web-based time clock application using Windows 2000, IIS 5.0, SQL Server 2000, Visual Basic, and Visual Interdev. This application saved many hours per week for Human Resources personnel and provided more accurate and functional reporting.
- Planned, designed, and implemented a technology migration from Windows NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 in a 400 seat multiple server and multi-site environment for a large manufacturing company. This project required defining a custom migration strategy and developing tools for moving Exchange data due to issues with the existing infrastructure.
- Lead Exchange architect and engineer for Exchange 5.5 integration of 26 companies into single Exchange 5.5 environment in with 4000 users at 130 locations. Multiple Exchange, cc:Mail, Lotus Notes, and Unix mail systems were merged into one 17 site 26 server Exchange 5.5 environment.
- Planned, tested, and designed the deployment plan for an Exchange 2000 implementation in an existing Exchange 5.5 environment consisting of 14 sites with 1000 seats for a global manufacturing company. This deployment was part of the Microsoft early deployment program. Trained administrative personnel to complete the implementation process.
- Planned, tested, designed, and implemented a cc:Mail to Microsoft Exchange migration in an 800 seat environment for a large publishing company. Trained administrative personnel to maintain the environment.
- Planned, tested, designed, and implemented the connections for coexistence of a heterogeneous messaging system consisting of two separate Microsoft Exchange organizations, GroupWise, and Lotus Notes in a 2500 seat environment for a large multi-location hospital. Trained administrative personnel to complete migration process.
- Planned, tested, and designed migration from GroupWise to Microsoft Exchange. Implemented coexistence of this environment for a large law firm. Developed custom software and procedure to convert GroupWise personal address books to Outlook contacts. Trained administrative personnel to complete migration process.
- Planned migration and implemented coexistence of MSMail and Microsoft Exchange for a manufacturing firm. Trained administrative personnel to complete migration process.
- Developed Outlook forms and Exchange Server event agents including forms that automate data collection and agents that automate data entry into databases such Microsoft Access or SQL Server.
- Completed for upgrades of production Exchange Server implementations, including replacement of various server hardware, such as Compaq, HP, Dell, and IBM in multiple environments.
- Developed custom procedures to aid in the conversion from Netware to Windows NT for multiple NT deployments and migrations.
- Splunk Certified User
- Splunk Certified Power User
- Splunk Certified Admin
- Splunk Certified Architect I
- Splunk Certified Architect II
- Splunk Certified Sales Rep I
- Splunk Certified Sales Rep II
- Splunk Certified IT & App Sales Rep
- Splunk Certified Sales Engineer I
- Splunk Certified Sales Engineer II
- Splunk Certified Sales Engineer III
- Splunk Certified IT Service Intelligence Admin
- Splunk Certified Developer
- Cisco Data Center Storage Networking Design Specialist
- Cisco Data Center Unified Computing Design Specialist
- EMC Knowledge Sharing Published Author (2015) EMC Whitepaper
- EMC Proven Professional Information Storage Associate
- EMC Proven Professional Technology Architect, VNX Specialist
- EMC Proven Professional Technology Architect, Isilon Infrastructure Specialist
- EMC Proven Professional Implementation Engineer, Isilon Specialist
- EMC Proven Professional Cloud Architect, Virtualized Infrastructure Specialist
- EMC Proven Professional Data Science Associate
- EMC Velocity Systems Engineer - Consolidate
- EMC Velocity Systems Engineer - VMax 10K
- EMC Velocity Systems Engineer - Scale-out NAS
- EMC Velocity Systems Engineer - BRS
- Isilon Certified Storage Professional
- Isilon Certified Integration Engineer
- NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator
- VMware Certified Professional 6 Data Center Virtualization
- VMware Certified Professional 5.5 Data Center Virtualization
- VMware Certified Professional 5
- VMware Certified Professional 4
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer + Messaging - Windows 2003
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Windows 2003
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist - Windows Vista
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer + Internet - NT 4.0
- Microsoft Certified SQL Administrator - SQL Server 7.0
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer NT 4.0
- Compaq Accredited Systems Engineer 1998-2001
- Microsoft Small Business Specialist
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA A+
Hardware and Software Skills
- VMWare vSphere 4,5,5.5,6, VMWare Infrastructure 3, VMWare Workstation, Site Recovery Manager
- Cisco MDS FC Switches, Cisco Nexus 5000
- HDS AMS 2000 Series storage array
- NetApp FAS storage arrays
- EMC Unity storage arrays
- EMC Clariion and VNX storage arrays
- EMC XtremIO storage arrays
- EMC Isilon storage systems
- Pure Storage, Flash Storage Technologies
- Tintri Storage Technologies
- Rubrik Backup and Recovery system
- General network storage technologies
- Data Domain De-Duplication appliances
- Splunk Machine Data Platform
- IronPort email security gateway appliance
- Software iSCSI/NAS - Openfiler, Starwind, MySAN
- Microsoft DOS 3.3, 6.2, Windows 3.x, 95, 98, NT 3.x, NT 4.0, 200, XP
- Microsoft Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 Server, NT Server 3.x & 4.0
- Linux Operating Systems
- Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy, ADAM
- Microsoft TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, DHCP, RRAS, PPTP, IPSEC
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007
- Microsoft Mail 3.5 Administration, coexistence, and migration to Exchange
- Microsoft Internet Information Sever 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0
- Microsoft Proxy Server 1.0, 2.0 Microsoft ISA Server 2000, 2004, 2006
- Microsoft SQL Server 6.5, 7.0, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012,2014 Microsoft Access, Borland DBase, Borland Paradox
- Microsoft Visual Studio 97, 6.0, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
- Microsoft .NET Framework and .NET related Technologies
- Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0, 2005 Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Subversion, GitHub
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007, 2010, 2013, Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Microsoft BizTalk Server 2004, 2006
- Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Virtual Server, Virtual PC, System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Novell 3.12, 4.11, 5.0 GroupWise 4.x, 5.x, 6.x Coexistence and migration to Exchange
- Lotus Notes 4.6, 5.0 cc:Mail 6.x, 8.x Coexistence and migration to Exchange
- Veritas Backup Exec 7.3, 8.6, 9.0, Veritas NetBackup 3.4, 4.5, 5.0, 6.5,7.0
- Business Objects XIr2
- Trend Antivirus Products, Symantec Antivirus Products, McAfee Antivirus Products
- RightFax Fax Server, BlackBerry Server 4.0, ThinAir Server wireless messaging
- Hardware design, configuration, and support for workstations and servers (Compaq, HP, Dell, IBM, and others)
Former Career - HVAC and Refrigeration
My first career was in HVAC which I started in 1985 as what was referred to as green duct mechanic. By 1993 I had worked my way through the entire industry in the following roles.
1st Duct Mechanic
Lead Job Foreman - Responsible for crews up to six men installing ~100 ton HVAC and refregeration systems in to new stores for large national grocery store chains.
Completed HVAC Service Technician School
Residential and Commercial Service Technician
Production Sheet Metal Quality Control Manager
Residential and Commercial Sales Technician
Then I completed contactors school and the Florida class A air conditioning contractor exam. This was a two day test each day with two 4 hour sections and an 8% passing rate!
I ran my own air conditioning company while attending college classes in computer science and engineering.
There was a point in time when I had customers which I repaired their computers and air conditioning in the same service call.
My contracting license which I still view as one of my greatest accomplishments.